Tuesday 28 May 2013

The One Where I Have a Fabulous Idea

Between sickness bugs and teething and colds and more sickness, S has been fairly poorly and clingy lately. She's wanted to spend a lot of time either watching TV with me, or playing with me, or reading with me - or doing anything really, so long as it involved sitting on my lap, usually holding one or both of my hands.

Single Mother Ahoy and baby blowing raspberries
Sometimes climbing on my lap is also required

Today, as I sat on the play mats demonstrating the noise benefits of a toy drum for the umpteenth time, I thought to myself, "wow, I have a million things to be doing... there must be something I can get done while I sit here on the mats..." 

And then, in a stroke of genius, I thought, "Yes! That's it!! I'll sit here and think of all the things you can do while your child is playing on your lap, and then I'll write a fabulous blog post about how to be super productive."

So I set myself to thinking. You could... or... well... uh...

And that's when the real stroke of genius hit me. My gorgeous daughter is 13 months old. Those 13 months have already gone far too quickly; in the blink of an eye she will be 13 years old, and the times of her wanting to sit on my lap and hold my hands will be long gone. Perhaps the most productive use of my time is just to sit here and play with her, while I can. Perhaps I should just be a bit more... zen about the whole thing, and sit and enjoy the moment.

And so I abandoned all thought of housework and blog posts, and gave in to banging the toy drum and blowing raspberries. Which is why this blog post is rather short.

PS: This is my 200th post! Congratulate me by following my blog (over there ), or perhaps by tweeting this post (down there ↓). At least leave me a comment and show me some love! You know you want to!

If you have enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy:
Buddhism for Mothers

4 comments:

  1. This is so true. So many things need done around our homes, seeing to people etc etc we do need to just stop, say "stuff you" to everything that needs doing and as you said "Enjoy the moment" x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really good at saying "stuff you" to the housework!

      Delete
  2. Kirsty Stitfall26 June 2013 at 18:30

    I think it is fair to say that when we are old and grey, we are highly unlikely to look back and think "Wow, I really wish I had done more housework". Good prioritising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha thanks! S had her tea on the play mats tonight because she was in a grump. She's been in bed half an hour and I've yet to begin the clean-up mission. I'm so lazy about housework!

      Delete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...