Monday 3 September 2012

What Did You Do Today?

Quite often I think a day has been a write-off, and I’ve achieved nothing, only to begin writing about it and find that I didn’t do too badly. I was about to complain that I’d had a bad day, but actually that’s not true.


Single Mother Ahoy baby playing with ball


S was in a fairly good mood this morning, and we had a few rounds of "giggling baby flying around the living room" before getting dressed. When we came back from our morning walk though, the mood nose-dived fairly rapidly, and we found that actually, the only things she wanted to do today were the ones where I was sitting there next to or in front of her. 

I felt like I’d achieved very little when I finally crept down the stairs an hour ago, but actually I walked nearly 10km this morning, washed up the teetering pile of plates left over from yesterday’s complete refusal to be productive (not on a Sunday!), washed and dried a load of nappies and some towels, cleaned the sides and the cooker top, put away some washing upstairs, wiped down the play mats in the living room, and spent a good portion of time sitting on said play mats playing with my little monster. So actually, I think I did quite well.

These days the vacuum cleaner doesn’t always make its way out of the cupboard, and the washing up doesn’t often get dried and put away; but I’ve not run out of clean plates for a while, and my bedroom is no longer carpeted with discarded clean and dirty clothes. On the whole, today wasn’t bad – despite the fact I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to evict a ridiculous headache since 11am, and fell asleep whilst putting S to bed.

I think I tend to fall into the trap of judging my current productivity against my pre-pregnancy days, when I would clean the whole house in a morning, and spend the afternoon baking brownies, reading a book or at the gym. Well, in reality, before I was pregnant my home was probably a lot less clean and tidy than it is now, but you know what I mean. I tended to do more “stuff” then, whereas now I can spend an hour sitting on a play mat pulling faces at S, and that’s a constructive use of my time. 


I suppose priorities change in more ways than one when you have a baby.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's way more than I do in a day! I've added your blog to the list of ones I follow so I'll be able to see whenever you update it. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...