Monday 17 June 2013

Group Therapy

This is the latest in a series of posts about a breakdown I had in 2010.
The first post is here.


Single Mother Ahoy Mount Snowdon Breakdown
Mount Snowdon: a turning point
I have agreed to attend Group Therapy courses because if I turn them down, there is nothing else. No other help available. The GP thinks it will be good for me to have to get up and be somewhere three times a week. The lady from Psychiatric Services thinks Group Therapy will keep me going until she can get me into the "Working Through Depression" group. I would rather just stay in bed and wait to die. But I said I'd do it.

And so, the following Monday, I get myself up and wander into town. I stop in a cafe and buy myself the largest possible latte, with added syrup, and sip it on my way to group therapy. I try to look as inconspicuous as possible as I wander along a main road of almost stationary traffic, and turn into the grounds of the mental institution. In reality, they probably don't care one way or another. I'd like to think I don't look particularly crazy; it's entirely possible that even if I am noticed, people would just think I was a member of staff, or visiting someone. Or not even care.

I sign in at the reception desk, which is behind a glass screen as if the staff need to be kept away from us, lest they catch our madness. I am told to wait in the waiting area. There are some chairs and some magazines. I am early. I take a seat. More people turn up; the waiting area is tiny and packed with people who don't make eye contact with each other. Eventually a lady comes out from behind a locked door, and takes us through to another room. We all sit down, and don't make eye contact. I assume this is the first week the group has run, but actually most of these people have been coming for several weeks. I am the only new person; they just don't speak to each other. Except for one lady, who turns up late and talks enough for all of us put together. It basically becomes her own personal therapy session.

Group therapy consists of this: a group of socially awkward, horribly depressed and anxious people sitting in a small conservatory crammed with too many vinyl hospital chairs and some dusty plastic plants. The lady running the course goes off to get her folder, then comes back. We all get a handout about today's session, and then she sits and reads it to us. I sit there, incredulous. Do I have to sit through two hours of this? How is this going to help me with anything other than my insomnia? Ironically, this is the assertiveness group, and I am not assertive enough to stand up and tell them what a crock of shit this is. So I sit and sip my coffee while we read through the worksheet, pausing every couple of sentences for the loud lady to tell us all how this point is relevant to her life, her week, her dog. Sometimes the lady running the group tries to be assertive herself, and ask whether anyone else in the group has anything to add. Mostly, though, she lets the loud lady do the talking.

There is no Goal Setting group that week, so I am granted a few days' peace before the relaxation group on Friday. The loud lady is in the relaxation group too; as is my brother in law, who I barely know. We don't really get on. He usually tries to tell me what to do, and I usually bite my tongue so as not to start a family feud. Between the two of them, I don't feel very relaxed. The same lady comes in to lead the group again. She hands round sheets, and reads them to us. I am sensing a theme for group therapy. After an hour of discussing how the loud lady finds it hard to relax, we go into the gym and lay on camping mats with pillows under our knees. The lady puts on some relaxing music, and reads a text to us while we close our eyes and "relax." Afterwards, the lady tells each of us how well we did at relaxing, or whether we still seemed tense. And then I leave, as quickly as I possibly can.

The groups are the same the following week. I am not impressed. 

This week is my first time at Goal Setting group. The loud lady is there again. My heart sinks. The same lady is running the group, and seems powerless to stop the loud lady from taking over. We spend the first hour having a sheet read to us, like story time at school. Then we all get a "goal setting" sheet. Apparently in the second hour of this group, we review the goals we set last week, and set a goal for next week. This weekend, I am being taken by a friend to climb Mount Snowdon (more about that here). It's something I agreed to ages ago, and he is holding me to it as a way of ensuring I am ok and making me Get Out And Do Things. On my goal sheet, I put "to climb Mount Snowdon and get to the top." When we go around the room and read out our goals, I have my first ever inkling that actually, I'm not so bad; actually, I may be on the mend and not as hopeless as I thought. Everyone else's goal involves doing the washing up or writing a letter. Jaws drop when I read out my goal.

I attend Group Therapy for a few more weeks. Irritatingly, my GP is right - it's not the therapy, so much as having to get up and out of the house three times a week that helps. After therapy, I go back to the cafe, order another large latte, and curl up in an arm chair upstairs, alternately reading a book and watching the world go by outside. It's my own form of therapy. Sometimes I have two or three coffees, curled up in my armchair, reading endless memoirs of depression and madness.

After a few weeks, I start missing groups. I'm going away for the weekend, or the weather is nice and I want to go to the beach for the day. 

One day the loud lady is in a pub I am having a drink in with friends. She asks me, in front of everyone, whether I think Group Therapy is helping me. I do not return to Group Therapy after this. They call to check I am ok, and I say I don't appreciate being "outed" in front of people who may not have known I was attending Psychiatric Services.  She doesn't have an answer for that.

The next part of the story is here


Thank you for reading. If you have enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.





4 comments:

  1. Jesus.... that's awful! I guess it's not their fault but in your position I would want to lodge several complaints. They can't help one person talking all the time and taking over - but should be better equipped to deal with it and help the other people who aren't speaking. And putting you in a group with someone you know and don't get on with is pretty poor... and the woman who asked you about it in public really should have known better. There's no shame in needing support of this kind and I guess it's good that she's not ashamed of telling people she is in therapy herself but she had no right to let other people know that you were. Maybe as a silver lining being angry about how crap the whole thing was is a better emotion than depression...! And well done for climbing mount snowdon, I could never do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I really felt that, as the group leader, the woman should have had more ability to control the group and stop one person from taking over, especially since one of the groups was assertiveness!!
      As for the mountain - my friend mentally dragged me. No way I could have done it on my own.

      Delete
  2. I went to a meeting once and the whole time this guy was going on about how all his problems were caused by his ex wife who'd been unfaithful. No one else could get a word in and the two organisers just let him monopolise the meeting. I remember trying to divert the conversation but he was having none of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes people just need to vent, and they'll do it at whoever will listen!

      Delete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...