Tuesday 11 June 2013

Turns Out I Wasn't Fixed...

This is one in a series of posts about a breakdown I had in 2010.

breakdown story never ending stairs
This is what my life feels like... only without the light at the top.



When I return to work, I am still having suicidal thoughts on a daily basis.

One day, I have been plagued by yawns all day. You know that feeling, that if you just lay your head down and close your eyes for five seconds, you'll fall into a deep, delicious sleep? Except every time I try to go to sleep, I fail. That night, frustrated with feeling this offensively, mortally tired, I ransack my stash of pills, and take one of every type I can find. In the middle of my mad scramble for pills, it occurs to me that I could just keep going. I could just end it all now, just take every single pill I can lay my hands on and be done with it. Then that would be it. Then it wouldn't matter if I couldn't sleep. It wouldn't matter that everyone I love always leaves. It wouldn't matter that I'm alone. It wouldn't matter that none of my family gives a shit about me because they're too busy fighting amongst themselves. It wouldn't matter that I am utterly miserable in my own skin. The only reason I stop, and don't go through with it, is that I haven't written a note. I don't want to leave people without an explanation. I am too tired by this point to write anything coherent, so I just lay on my bed and fall asleep.

I am going to work every day, but I am still crying on the way home. I am still drinking vodka in the middle of the day, despite my promises to the GP that it would stop once I went back to work. I am still self harming. I am still turning up for work still dozy from the previous night's cocktail of sleeping pills and whatever else I can lay my hands on. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, fixed.

As the days go on, I am taking more and more sleeping pills each night. Four, sometimes five. I don't always sleep any better, but I find that I am not so bothered by it; I spend large amounts of time in a weird state between asleep and awake. 

On one day in particular, tired of always being tired but not sleeping, I take five sleeping pills and go to bed. I still wake up at 3am, so I waste no time in taking another four pills and going back to sleep. When I wake at 9, only parts of me wake up. I don't trust myself to stand in the shower, so I tie my hair up and put on some clothes that seem clean. I catch the bus to work because I don't trust my wobbly legs. I buy a large coffee with an extra espresso shot, and wobble my way to work, where I pretty much collapse at my desk. I receive three emails telling me I look rough. My boss asks me why my speech is slurred. And I bump the door frame every single time I get up to go to the toilets.

The big boss comes over to speak to me. He tells me not to worry at all about work; nobody is cross with me and I am not taking the piss. I need to just take my time and things will get better. This is a gruff, middle-aged man from whom you are normally lucky to get a "morning" barked at you as he lopes past in the morning. I almost cry.

When my two hours are up, I walk home. It takes me nearly an hour to walk a journey that usually takes half that. When I finally get home, I lay on the sofa and fall asleep. When I wake up, I sit and stare at the wall.

I am vaguely aware that I appear to be going down hill. I am vaguely aware that the number of burns and cuts on my arms really can't be passed off as clumsy accidents any more. I am vaguely aware that I am taking the piss now. A friend emails me and basically tells me I need to pull my socks up now, and go back to work properly.
I know I am being irresponsible. I know I need to turn myself around and start behaving myself.

But on the other hand, what have I got? A doubled dose of medication, an inability to sleep without chemical intervention, a handful of people who say they are there for me, but are generally busy whenever I actually pluck up the courage to ask them to spend time with me. No chance of any sort of therapy or whatever else sort of help for at least a couple of months.

By this point, it's not that I want to die, so much as that I really can't be bothered to live like this any more. And I don't know how to change that. Everything seems so irreparably futile. 

This is going nowhere; there is no happy ending here.

The next part of the story is here

Thank you for reading. If you have enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...