Tuesday 26 March 2013

Review: Aggie MacKenzie's Cleaning Products

Aggie MacKenzie has a new range of probiotic cleaning products out, and I was lucky enough to be asked to test them.


Having a small, messy and crawling child in the house, it's a daily struggle to keep the house clean and not smelling like a compost heap, with food smooshed up and rubbed into every available surface at least once a day. But I also don't want to be flinging bleach about the place willy nilly - I want to know that I can clean something, and let S carry on playing as normal, without worrying.

Agge MacKenzie signature logo

Says Aggie:
The potential for the use of probiotics in many areas of our lives is amazing. We've heard about their health benefits in yogurts, and now they're being used in many other areas too. Expect to see them popping up in baby products, deodorants and toothpaste. Now, for the first time, they're being used in my cleaning products too.
 There are 18 products in the range; I was given 6 to try: fabric freshener, exterior drain treatment, shoe & trainer refresher, carpet & uphosltery cleaner, power stain remover and bathroom cleaner.

All of the products are scented with grapefruit and lime, which means when you spray them, the house doesn't end up smelling like an old lady's handbag! 

I've tried all of them out, and so far I'm loving them. The chemicals have been relegated to the back of the cupboard because I feel that these products are less harsh and more suitable when there's a baby lurking about.

Here comes the science bit; concentrate!

A good cleaning involves more than just removing visible dirt. Each surface has impurities, which contain an invisible biofilm. This biofilm is like a shield, a high concentration of micro-organisms, including harmful bacteria that cannot be penetrated by ordinary chemical or antibacterial cleaners. Aggie's Probiotics are able to penetrate and remove this biofilm, for deeper cleaning and longer-lasting protection.
The secret is not to kill off the friendly bacteria that nature has given us, because that only creates space for germs to spread. Rather, what we should be doing is working with nature's very own cleaning crew, probiotics, to get right down into grime and remove all of that dirt we can see, and also the germs that we can't.


This concept makes sense to me, especially when it comes to removing nasty, lingering pongs. Of course, my feet don't smell and neither do my trainers... but if they did, then the probiotic cleaner would have helped remove the smell and let my trainers live to see another day. Similarly, the fabric freshener has worked wonders on my sofa which has now had a full year of baby puke to contend with (as well as an entire large Costa caramel latte being chucked down the side of it the other day). 

What I love about these products is that I can spray them on the sofa, in my shoes, on the rug on the floor, and not have to set up some clever cordon around them to stop S from going near. Obviously I'm not going to encourage her to sit and rub her hands in the damp recently-cleaned patches, but it's not as worrying as if you've used something with a list of chemicals as long as your arm to remove a grubby mark from the rug. 

And it's just nice to walk back into a room after a brief absence, and be greeted by a nice, fresh smell rather than that of milky vomit and spilled coffee.

The website for the product line is here, and I will certainly be popping back there once my current supply runs out.

Disclaimer: I received Aggie's Probiotics products for free, in return for writing this post. The opinions in the post are all my own, and I was not obliged to write a favourable "advertisement" in exchange for the products.

Thanks for reading! If you've enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.



2 comments:

  1. I started reading this thinking it wouldn't be particularly interesting or relevant to me personally (I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to pay someone to clean my house which I can assure you I don't take for granted!) - but you really opened my eyes. Yogurt in cleaning products?! But more to the point, it had never occured to me about all the chemicals that are in most cleaning products and having to think about this when you have a child crawling around. So these products seem like a great idea - do you know if they are going to be stocked in all supermarkets or is it more of a niche brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah I'm glad you liked it! Not sure to be honest, I hope it will be available more widely because it's a good idea. She was on QVC the other day with them...

      Delete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...