Thursday 20 June 2013

Recovery

This is one of a series of posts about a breakdown I had in 2010.
The first post is here.
Single Mother Ahoy Darlington Brick Train
Did you know, in Darlington, they have a train made from bricks?

By August, things have started to improve without my really noticing.

After a while, I realise there is nothing saying I have to stay at home all the time. I visit friends in Oxfordshire, Cardiff, Darlington. I see people I have not seen for years. I do the tourist thing. I get drunk. I spend hours upon hours on trains, reading books, listening to my iPod and looking out of the window. I miss Group Therapy and the one-to-one counselling, but my opinion is that visiting friends is better for my recovery any way.

I continue to work weekends at the local pub, waiting tables in the restaurant and garden. It's too hot and horribly busy on the shifts I work, but I enjoy it. The people there aren't really aware of what's been going on in my life, so they don't treat me any differently to any other weekend waitress. Once I am made properly redundant in October, I decide I will take on more shifts at the pub, and spend the rest of my time writing a book. I realise this is the first time I have thought about the future in months.

I begin to enjoy having enough spare time to be able to just go off on the spur of the moment. On the August Bank Holiday weekend, a friend comes to visit. We spend the evening drinking with my sister and another friend, then head into town and meet more people. The next day, with stinking hangovers, we agree that I will go and stay at my friend's place for a few days. I pack a bag, and we leave that evening. I spend about a week in Oxfordshire, splitting my time between two friends' houses, depending on when each of them is working.

This week marks some sort of change in me. I actually have fun; both when we are out drinking, and in the days that follow, just hanging about and not doing very much.

Thank you for reading. If you have enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you came out the other side of this, shows you are a strong person.

    Thank you for linking up with the Weekend Blog Hop

    Hope to see you again this weekend

    Laura x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Laura. Am loving the blog hop!

      Delete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog from a link on http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.com/ . I just got done reading about your illness and recovery. I'm so happy for you that you've come out the other side. Alot of what you wrote I can so relate to right now in my life and I want to thank you for writing and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your blog from a link on http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.com/ . I just got done reading about your illness and recovery. I'm so happy for you that you've come out the other side. Alot of what you wrote I can so relate to right now in my life and I want to thank you for writing and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog thru http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.com/ I want to thank you for writing and sharing your story of illness and recovery. I relate to so much of it in my life right now. I'm so glad to read that you've come out the other side and have survived. I look forward to reading your blog regularly.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh geez, double posted! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you helped yourself on the road to recovery. Although not everyone is capable of it, I imagine it must be better to provide your own impetus rather than have it enforced on you. Admire your bravery in telling the tale so openly here too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. just been reading through your story. thanks for sharing and for being so open. So many words and sentences i could relate to. Plus you are such a good writer i kept clicking the links for more... :) Its reading something like this that makes you appreciate your mental health and want to keep on fighting to be happy and well xx

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...