Thursday 28 November 2013

Health & Fitness Tips

I'm doing my best at the moment to be more healthy. I need to lose some weight.
The most irritating thing is that I used to be fit and healthy. I know what I need to do; I just don't do it.

So here are some things you can do when trying to get a little more fit and healthy.


  • Ditch the two-hour slog in the gym or running. Waste of time (in my opinion). HIIT workouts are where it's at. Short, bloody hard bursts of effort that make you want to die... and then stop right before you do. Tabata training is similar, and that's what I do when I train with my friend Simon. It's freezing cold, I ache everywhere, I eff and jeff more than I ever have - but it's over quickly and it gets results.
  • One thing I've used for a long time is protein powder. I used to make a shake using just the powder and water or milk, but that's a bit... vest-wearing body builder for me. These days, after a workout I'll chuck some frozen fruit in a jug with some coconut milk, a spoonful of yogurt and a scoop of protein powder, and make myself a nice smoothie.
  • Never underestimate the power of water. Drink lots of water. And then drink some more. I know we've all heard the story of that marathon runner who drank too much water and died... that is (most probably) not going to happen to you. Drink some water. Now. I buy a 750ml bottle of mineral water and refill it from the tap whenever it's empty. I aim to have to refill it at least twice through the day. Everything feels better when you're well hydrated.

  • Fat doesn't make you fat; sugar makes you fat. Not just sugar in your tea (though that's a good place to start), but the sugar that refined carbs turns into when you digest it. You can make simple switches like wholemeal bread instead of white, wholemeal flour and pasta etc.
  • I know I said fat doesn't make you fat... but it's probably best not to bathe all of your food in it either. You can switch the type of fat you use as well. I use a lot of coconut oil for cooking these days.
So there you go... watch this space for a shiny new Vicky in a few months, once I've got my diet under control!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Sounds like you have a good plan - I need to get my behind in gear - so lazy now I'm back to my desk job xxx

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...