Wednesday 2 April 2014

Tooth Brushing

I've been reading a book called The Wealth Chef, about how to... be wealthy, I suppose.

One thing the author suggests is that every evening as you brush your teeth, you ask yourself five questions:
  • What am I proud of in my life right now, in relation to my wealth and my money?
  • What am I committed to in my life right now,  in relation to my wealth and my money?
  • What am I excited about in my life right now, in relation to my wealth and my money?
  • What am I grateful for in my life right now, in relation to my wealth and my money?
  • Who do I love, and who loves me?
I am pants at remembering that list though, so I decided to just commit to thinking of three positive things about my day each evening as I brush my teeth. Sometimes the positive things are big things; sometimes they're small things. Last night my three things were: 

  • I have a new weekly column on a fantastic website - possibly the most exciting thing to happen since I started writing properly
  • I had some lovely times with S after nursery - she showed off lots of new words and we had lots of cuddles
  • I had a reasonably organised day with my work, and got a lot done
Tooth brushing think of 3 positive things
Bedtime Cuddles!


Depending on how you look at it, these could be massive things, or tiny things. All three are positive, though.

Some evenings it's easier to find three positive things than others. But research shows that if you do something like this, where you search for the positive points in your day, you actually train your brain to automatically look for the positive in any given situation - and that in itself just makes you a naturally more happy person. The glass is half full, and all of that.

So why don't you try it, right now. Tell me: what three positive things have happened for you today? If you can't do today, how about yesterday? Or in the last week? 

6 comments:

  1. Ah! So clever to slot this thinking into the day while you're cleaning your teeth - I will try it from tonight! (And congrats on the column!)
    (PS I'm on Twitter at @amandakendle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having one time of day to review the positives of the day is a good idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kick starter to pondering the positive! Here are my three:
    1. I just got oodles of great copy for new videos for my life coaching service pages
    2. I am off for the third day of spring break from my high school counseling day career.
    3. My 5 year old is home with us and continues to provide tons to smile and laugh about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly congratulations on your new column :)

    I did a gratitude project last year and finding *one* positive thing each day was hard at times let alone three! Let's think...

    My doctor has organised vestibular physiotherapy for me to ease my vertigo attacks; I got 2 scheduled blog posts written for the Ultimate Blog Challenge; had a couple of hours in the garden with the dog in the sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have become a positive person in the last few years, having previously been a bit of a moaner / attention seeker / drama queen, having realised that looking on the negative side just makes you more negative. My three things are:
    My three and a half year old daughter. She is (mostly) cute, funny and clever;
    My day at work today was good as both bosses were in a good mood which makes the whole office a happier place;
    I have food in my belly and a roof over my head, making me better off than millions of people worldwide.

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...