Thursday 13 December 2012

Revelations in Romance



I've tried several times to write an entry about the Handsome Young Man... but I never seem to get anywhere with it.

I was with the ex for just about a year, which is not so long in the grand scheme of things. But for that year, he had almost total control over every single, tiny little aspect of my life. His control was so total that it seemed to wipe out everything that came before it. I couldn't remember a time when things were not this way, a time when I had not been treated like this or degraded in this way. After he left, and I started to find my feet as a mother, I slowly managed to drag myself out from under all of that. Every now and then I would have a mini revelation: "oh, that was probably a lie... oh, it's not unreasonable to want that... oh, everyone else doesn't think in that way."
poinsettia in purple pot
And then I met HYM and it was a massive culture shock. I resisted seeing him at first, because I didn't want to be controlled and hurt again, and I thought that was what relationships were like. I'd forgotten about the other relationships I'd had before. But I decided to just go for one coffee, and see what happened. He appears to have well and truly won me over!

I had thought I was over the situation I'd been in, and that it was all behind me, no remnants left behind. And now all of a sudden there's this man in my life who is the exact polar opposite of the ex in every way. Every time I see or speak to him, he unwittingly says or does something that highlights just how different he is, and just how skewed my view of the world was, without my even realising it. I keep expecting him to behave or react in the way I was used to, and when he doesn't kick off or tell me off or make me feel inferior or stupid or dirty or wrong, it confuses the hell out of me. I have no frame of reference for a man who tells me I am beautiful and amazing and is clearly just happy to be spending time with me, even if that time is spent with me trying to rock S to sleep for an hour. He asks what I'm up to because he's interested, not because he's checking up on me. When we spend an evening apart it's because we're both doing other things, and neither of us assumes the other is sleeping with someone else. He has never once told me what to do with regard to S, something everyone else seems only too happy to do.

I had never realised a kiss could be used as something to assert authority over another person, or that something as simple as holding hands could be used to denote ownership and control - until I experienced the flip side of them. As a general rule, it's never a good idea to compare current partners with previous ones, but I find myself doing it all the time, with this weird mind-blown expression on my face, thinking "oh right, so this is what it's supposed to be like." It's like he lives in this weird, alien world where I'm beautiful and he's lucky to be with me. Like an extended version of the Twilight Zone.

Sometimes, while I was with the ex, I would have these fleeting moments of clarity, where I would be internally screaming at myself: What are you doing? Why are you fighting so hard to stay with someone who marks your body and degrades you and makes you feel so worthless and miserable and unappreciated? I did know it was wrong, but I felt powerless to stop it. I had been convinced that was just what relationships were like, and that I was the person who was in the wrong: clearly I held people up to an impossibly high standard, I expected the unachievable in a relationship and of a man. What he was doing was normal, and I was abnormal for being at all unwilling to co-operate. I was poisonous, it was all me. I accepted that perhaps I just wanted too much out of a relationship, and I wasn't able to deal with all the effort and compromise that comes with it. I decided I would just be alone and concentrate on looking after my daughter.

Having met HYM, it's like the final nail in the coffin of the control the ex had. Now I've seen how HYM treats me, how he makes me feel like the most amazing, beautiful and important person in the world, I realise just how much I had been broken by my previous experience, just how much of it I was accepting when I should have been walking away from what was a nasty situation. I have always had issues with confidence, even before the ex. He just made them that much worse, made me that much more insecure and dependent upon him to feel like I was just about acceptable as a person. Nobody else would ever want me because, after all, the ex was doing me a favour by sticking around someone as difficult and unpleasant as me. Even on the day I went into labour with his child, I was manipulating him and being deliberately difficult, not to mention downright inconvenient, it being Easter Sunday and all.

After an experience like that, and then having been hugely pregnant and given birth, I had no confidence physically or emotionally when it came to a new relationship. Suddenly there was this man at my door wanting to take me out, and clearly very proud and happy to be with me. He seems to think I'm beautiful. I feel like Pauline Collins in Shirley Valentine: "He kissed my stretch marks!"

Shirley Valentine

Thanks for reading! If you've enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends using the buttons below.

3 comments:

  1. What a horrible experience you had before... and having the strength to acknowledge it and put it behind you is amazing. This new guy sounds great! I know what you mean too - I didn't go through anything like what you did, but for the last couple of years of our 11-year relationship my ex constantly put me down, his favourite nickname for me was "Jabba" as in Jabba the Hut, because I'd put on weight. And yet I fought so hard to get him back when he decided to end our relationship... the amazing guy I've been with for the last two years would never dream of saying anything to hurt me and is staggered when I mention in passing the things my ex used to do (the Jabba thing came out when we were talking about Star Wars I think!) - and it made me realise that most normal people think the way my ex spoke to me was totally unacceptable. I don't know why I never saw it that way or stood up for myself or why I cried so much when he left, when I should have been shouting 'good riddance'! The girl he's with now - who, while we were still together, he described as a younger, prettier version of me - is going to have her work cut out for her and they deserve each other! I do think that going through experiences like this makes you appreciate it more when you do have something good, so it was all worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange, isn't it, what we put up with and just accept as part of being in a relationship. I'm experiencing the same sort of thing - stuff just pops into my head about how my life used to be. It feels like I'm talking about someone else when I say it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It's like reading my story. Except believe it or not, I was married for 11 years and had 2 kids. It took 3 years of being single to pull myself together and forgive myself for accepting what I accepted. But I forgave, and I forgave my ex and we actually now have a very good "ex" relationship - which can only happen with the forgiveness piece:) I met my amazing husband 5 years ago and since that moment it's like my life started - on a different planet. We have s beautiful blended family and truly every day I am in awe of how much I love this man. Good luck to you! I hope this is it and you will forever be happy as I am:))))

    ReplyDelete

Do please leave a comment and let me know your view!

Comments are moderated, so your comment will not appear straight away.

Please remember: it's fine if we have different views, as long as we have them without making personal attacks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...